Humming bird update of SEO 2018
What is Hummingbird update?
Its a update that more focus on handling of “voice search queries” and improving the quality of results returned for them.
So how does it works?
Lets understand the term “voice search queries”. Google says more and more people are speaking into their mobiles and laptops, and using voice search. When using voice search most people tend to speak out their queries in conversational manner.
Lets say I want to know where is the nearest fast food outlet located. If I were to ask this question to a friend during a conversation I would ask something like this “ do you know where is the nearest fast food outlet located?”. As opposed to this if I were to type my query into Google I was more likely to type “Fast Food outlet” or some such similar term to save on having to type long queries. Also I know longer query would bring in some garbled results so I would type specific words to narrow down my search.
Lets go back to the example : “where is the nearest fast food outlet located?”
Before Hummingbird: Google focuses on selected terms and in a disassociated way – “where is the nearest Pizza hut outlet located?” the search results from this kind of query were a mixed lot and user experience was dampened.
After Hummingbird: Google focuses entire phrase “where is the nearest Pizza hut outlet located?”, it tries to read the intent behind your query. It acts as a intelligent search engine and tries to bring in relevant search results by deciphering your search query in a comprehensive manner.
Why is Hummingbird so special?
Humminbird update has reworked the entire Google Algorithm, its a rewrite that comes after 12 years. And considering that Google itself is 15 years old, this update is like a milestone in Google’s history.
What are new SEO Guidelines after Hummingbird?
Hummingbird update was so named by Google because it says the new update makes the search precise and fast. So to keep up with this update SEO too needs to become precise and more focused. We have collected the important pointers given by SEO veterans and here are the new SEO guidelines that will help you keep up with Hummingbird:
Bottom Line is:
- Hummingbird has already been operational for a month, so if your website has not witnessed any ranking drop, or traffic change in the previous month, your SEO is working fine.
- If your website has witnessed some positive changes in last month, your SEO is going great, do share the secret with us 🙂
- If your website has witnessed negative impact during the last month, then here are few tips to get your SEO in tune with Hummingbird:
1.Understand semantic search and knowledge graph. Learn how you can make it work for your website
2. Learn to decipher your audience’s intent behind the words used by them. Forget keyword. Focus on intent. Design your website and content to cater to customer intent, need and problems.
3. Use social media like crazy, interact with your customer on daily basis if not hourly. Learn their language, what they seek and what will please them. If your customer refers to your product by a slang term, you need to learn that too. Optimize your content for the same as well.
4. Make excellence your obsession when designing content. Your content should be designed not for keywords or keyphrases. It needs to be designed for inspiring trust in your target audience. Make it aesthetically as well as intellectually appealing and stimulating. Such content generates social signals itself by being liked shared and spread around. And hummingbird update makes social signals evemore powerful in terms of impact on the website rankings.
Is SEO dead?
No it is evolving to become more social more intelligent just like humans evolved from our ancestors. If a SEO practitioner is willing to evolve with Google then they can be in business forever.
Google has changed the game and the ball is now in the customer’s court. If you want to win the game, you gotta focus on winning over your customer like there is no tomorrow.